The synagogue’s construction started in August 1893. In a month, its main walls were standing, and the developing Orthodox community celebrated its very first new year in the new synagogue. The final touches were finished in a year’s time, but officially the church was inaugurated in 1902. The first rabbi of the orthodox Kehila was Solomon Strasszer. There were several establishments in a joint operation with the status quo community, but soon the Orthodox Jews expanded their web of institutions: Beit Hamidras for Torah-learning sessions, a mikvah, and a kosher butchery and shop had opened. The building was heavily damaged during WWII, and the community was not able to rebuild the synagogue fully, but they managed to preserve it.
Nevertheless, it functioned until 1984, when the last Orthodox Rabbi, Sándor Deutsch, passed away. In 2001, the roof and the street front were reconstructed, but its thorough, complete restoration started only in 2012. On 26 April 2015, the Pásti Orthodox synagogue was re-opened in its full glory, and it serves multiple purposes: it is not only a sacred space but a tourist attraction, conference center, and public venue.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.