If you are staying in Hungary for the purpose of employment, you will need to apply for a tax card that shows your tax identification number (tax ID number). If you are not working in Hungary but you are a foreign student enrolled in a Hungarian higher education institution and wish to participate in a scholarship program that provides scholarships from a Hungarian university or any Hungarian state body, you will also need a Hungarian tax ID number.

Obtaining a tax ID number is an easy process and free of charge.

You or your employer can submit the necessary application even before you start work or studying. The application can be submitted at the local tax and customs authority NTCA Hajdú-Bihar County Tax and Customs Directorate (NAV Hajdú-Bihar megyei Adóigazgatóság) it in person, located in at 29/C Faraktár Street in Debrecen.

When applying for a tax identification number, a valid passport and a completed application form must be presented. (Fill up the form using a blue pen, with block capital letters, and submit it in person).

NTCA Hajdú-Bihar County Tax and Customs Directorate
Address: 4029 Debrecen, Faraktár utca 29/C
Phone: +36 52 517-200
Email: hajduavig@nav.gov.hu
Website: Tax and Customs Directorate in Debrecen

Office hours of the Tax and Customs Directorate
Monday: 8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Tuesday: 8:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Thursday: 8:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.

How to get to NTCA Hajdú-Bihar County Tax and Customs Directorate
Take the bus 25, 25Y, 125, 45, 41Y to the stop “Faraktár utca”, then walk about 450 meters to the address.