A 100-page photo album on the life’s work of the architect István Sajó is published with welcoming words by István Puskás, Deputy Mayor of Debrecen.
The architect István Sajó was born in Debrecen in the year of the millennium into a middle-class Jewish family. He graduated from the József nádor Technical University in 1920, after having fought as a lieutenant with several medals in the First World War.
At the age of twenty-three, he travelled to Germany, followed by a trip to North America. As an architect, he kept three offices in Florida, and from 1926, he worked for three years in New York architectural studios, where he designed four building complexes. In 1928, Sajó returned to his hometown, Debrecen.
The house at 6 Hatvan Street is an excellent work of Sajó’s, built-in 1928-1931 by the status quo ante Israelite community. The villa on Simonyi Street, next to the Pálma Restaurant, was built by Sajó in 1929 for the cultural patron, orphanage founder and criminal lawyer Jenő Fényes. Another building on Simonyi Road, built for Pál Geiger in 1930, was designed along similar lines. Sajó’s first post-war work was the restoration of the Reformed Great Church, which incendiary bombs had badly damaged. He restored the burnt western tower and roof in March 1945.
Sajó’s main work continued after 1945, including the building of the Health Outpatient Centre Debrecen on Bethlen and Múzeum streets, the concrete shell and dome of the Debrecen Great Station, according to György Csete, who worked as an intern on the construction site.
The album’s backbone is comprised of photographs of Sajó designed buildings and is by two world-famous photographers, Nicky Almasy and Ádám Magyar.
The launch of the Sajó photography album will take place on Thursday, 23rd of June, at 5 p.m. in the Méliusz Juhász Péter Library.
Source and photo credit: dehir.hu