The University of Debrecen has announced a conditional public procurement for the renovation of the facade of the main building on Egyetem Square. It is estimated that the work would take a good 2 and a half years.

As stated in the tender documents, the university does not yet have the necessary funds to conclude the contract. The purpose of such conditional procurements is usually that the tenderer can obtain funding, either in the form of (EU) tenders or directly from the state, on the basis of the bid price offered by the prospective contractors.

According to the call for proposals published in the Official Journal of the European Union, the University of Debrecen aims to restore the façade of the Main Building to its original appearance, worthy of the university’s central building, which will celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2032. The work would be carried out in six phases, and would include the renewal of the facade surfaces (render-stone-brick) and the façade’s windows, as well as the renewal of the walkways, paving, floor coverings, railings and mechanical grilles directly connected to the building.

The university estimates the work would take just over 2 and a half years, 31 months.

Companies can  apply for the call  until the 18th of  March

The University of Debrecen does not only want to renovate the facade of the main building. The energy renovation of the building is also being planned.  The preparatory process, which will take nearly two years,, could be completed in the second half of 2024.

Higher education in Debrecen began in 1914 within the walls of the Reformed College, founded in 1538. There was also talk of building a university town in the area around the Reformed College, but in the end the city of Debrecen donated a large area of land in the Great Forest area  to the university. First the main building of the present Clinical Centre ‘grew out of  the ground’, followed by the central building.

The plans for the neoclassical-style building were drawn up in the 1910s by Flóris Korb, who originally envisioned towers on top of two projecting bastion-like sections that would have been used as meteorological and astronomical observatories. The architect also designed the dome of the courtyard to be higher. However, the plans were not approved by the rectors of the time and were revised. Construction of the imposing main building began in the 1920s. At the time of its inauguration, it was still planned to extend the main building if there was demand and money. The main university building was to have been a U-shaped complex, surrounding the park with fountains on two sides. However, this never materialised. Instead, the chemistry building was added to the university campus in the first half of the 1960s.

Source: Dehir.hu

Author: Debrecen4U